Sunday, September 25, 2016

Moms in School

I have been a student at Yavapai College since 2011. Ive been taking it slow ever since I had my son that same year. Since then I have had one other child who is now sixteen months. I have taken online, on campus, and hybrid classes. My favorite still is on campus with a one on one teacher. However, online has it's perks, such as the deadlines for things are midnight and a week away. The pressure is off during semesters of havoc at the home front. The hybrid classes were way too much for me, or maybe its just cause it was history I was learning, not my best subject. School is harder than its ever been before. My kids try to fight for the spotlight when I am at home doing my work, thank goodness for those midnight deadlines on canvas. When the kids are asleep, the college moms wont show defeat. Sleep? A thing of the past. I have a few more years of school til I graduate with my Bachelors. I go through panic attacks trying to beat time, which Ive learned to be more stressful than finals. My son is now five as of September 21st and I will continue pushing for this degree no matter the struggles. If any teachers read this I have one suggestion to make when teaching your class. Don't just skim us through the learning outcomes of your class but actually take notice of the students knowledge coming into the class and build off of the majorities knowledge. This would be extremely helpful when it comes to non core classes. The gaps of learning between classes are chapters apart and associated classes are even more off course from the different approaches of teaching.  I wish there was some way to bring shadowing to every class. Some kind of hands on experience that will grab each students attention. Many students don't realize that when a class is not a subject of your major, it's just as pertinent. Teachers sometimes take a parent role and this works! Tell your "kids" the things that are not in the books, teach them the insight you have on life. Don't take a whole lesson to do so but through out the semester. These words stick. Students find a certain respect and priority for you personally. Life is untamed and planning only keeps us on the path we think is right. Mother's keep pushing forward, take time to live in the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment